Guidelines: Submit your nomination for an individual or group that you believe is worth featuring in an issue of Wildfire magazine. We will need a justification for why an individual should be recognized, a short bio, and photo of the individual or group at work (if you have one). All IAWF members as well as people supporting the global wildland fire community
Each issue of Wildfire magazine will feature up to two individuals or groups. Individuals who are recognized in "Fired Up" will receive a one-year membership at IAWF, and groups who are recognized will receive up to five, one-year memberships.
Editors of Wildfire magazine and the IAWF Membership Committee
The magazine is written primarily by fire-management professionals, scientists and leaders working in the wildfire, bushfire and urban interface communities. These experts share their practical experience and knowledge as they examine issues that are key to our communities and profession.
We accept queries for article ideas and complete articles as well as photos and multimedia content. We suggest you review our Author Guidelines before you submit.
For more information visit: http://wildfiremagazine.org/publications/wildfire-magazine/
2015 Media Planner
You can upload your Ad Materials below.
For advertising, contact Sales Manager Dennis Hegg:
- Submit articles, photos and suggestions for the magazine, contact Chair of the Editorial Board, Ron Steffens: email@example.com
- For general questions about the IAWF, contact Executive Director Mikel Robinson: firstname.lastname@example.org
In an effort to continue to promote the
scholarly pursuits and graduate level training within the global wildland fire
community, in 2017 the International Association of Wildland Fire (IAWF) will
again be awarding two graduate-level scholarships, each valued at $3,000USD to
IAWF members who are Master of Science/Arts (MSc/MA) or Doctoral (PhD) students
studying wildland fire or wildland fire related topics.
applications from students studying any aspect of wildland fire be it from the
perspective of physical, ecological or social science to less traditional
subject areas as well: we are looking through this scholarship to recognize and
support any type of research relevant to the global wildland fire
The application period will be open between 6 March 2017 and 24 April 2017. Award winners will be announced in June.
Scholarships will be awarded to the top MSc and top PhD applicants based the student’s submitted essay. Please see the guidelines and application information for details.
Guidelines and Application information
1) The applicant must be a member of IAWF at the time of application and remain so at least during his/her award period. Visit IAWF web site for details on membership application (http://www.iawfonline.org) and visit the Membership/Benefits for online membership application.
2) The applicant must be enrolled full-time in graduate school with, at the closing date of the scholarship application period, at least 8 months remaining in their program if they are an MSc candidate or 12 months remaining if they are a PhD candidate.
3) The applicant must submit a 500-750 (750 maximum) word essay submitted
in English that includes 3 components: (UPLOAD BELOW)
(i) a description of how they have or will overcome challenges and/or barriers associated with their academic program and associated research. These challenges and/or barriers may include, but are not limited to:
§ location of the research (e.g., field site, laboratory, geographic region)
§ subject area being studied (e.g., non-traditional or evolving research area)
§ country/region of origin or other personal circumstances;
(ii) a description of how the international fire community will benefit from completion of their post graduate studies; and
(iii) a statement of the anticipated benefit the scholarship would bring to the student with particular emphasis on (but not limited to) how scholarship funds would be used to further their research goals and/or allow the dissemination of research to the fire management community (an example would be additional meetings, workshops or conferences attended).
4) The applicant must arrange for a letter of support written in
English to be submitted on their behalf by their primary thesis
supervisor. The letter of support must confirm:
(1) the student is enrolled in an MSc or PhD program under their
supervision; (2) the student has at least 8 months (MSc applicants) or 12
months (PhD applicants) remaining in the program at the time of
application; (3) the content of the student’s essay is accurate; and (4)
the student has the ability to successfully complete the work. The letter may be uploaded below or emailed to Mikel Robinson, email@example.com)
5) Upon completing his/her degree, all award winners will submit to the Association a copy of the signature page approving the thesis or other similar academic requirement, and a copy of the abstract that appears in the body of the thesis. These materials will be transmitted by the student under a cover letter that states the IAWF is permitted to use the information in these materials in publications of their choosing. The purpose of this authorization/waiver is to allow the IAWF to highlight the success of this program and those of the students sponsored.
6) Award winners will acknowledge the financial support of the IAWF in all publications or manuscripts arising from work sponsored in part by this scholarship.
7) Completed applications must be received no later than 24 April 2017.
Essay formatting instructions
Your name should
appear at the top of each page and all pages must be numbered.
Accepted formats - WORD and PDF.